Tips for Good Sleep
Early to bed and early to rise, makes a man healthy wealthy and wise.
According to leading sleep researchers, there are techniques to combat common sleep problems like insomnia. Below is the list of techniques, which gives a better insight into getting a good sleep.
- Avoid stress...how ? Do things at your best and leave the rest to God / Super natural power / Destiny
- Be cheerful & smile
- Laugh, share jokes with your family & friends
- Get regular exercise
- Relaxation techniques
- Don't take any medication to induce sleep. If you depend on medication, the dosage will increase slowly over a period of time and its side-effects.
- Avoid caffeine four to six hours before bed and minimize daytime use
- Don't indulge in mind-intensive activities before bed time
- Don’t smoke, especially near bedtime or if you wake up in the night
- Avoid alcohol and heavy meals before sleep
- Don’t watch TV in bed
- Minimize noise, light and excessive hot and cold temperatures where you sleep
- Develop a regular bed time and go to bed at the same time each night
- Try and wake up without an alarm clock
- Attempt to go to bed earlier every night for certain period which will ensure that you’re getting enough sleep
- Have a cup of warm milk before bed time
- Apply a little Brahmi Oil / coconut oil over head before sleep
Shiva in Meditation
(source - Kalyan Kumar)
Yoga and sleep
- Yoga promotes whole-body wellness - both physically and psychologically, without any imbalances. This creates perfect harmony between the mind, body and the universe around you.
- It has been claimed that on average, for every minute you do yoga you will need one minute less of sleep. Practicing yoga is an excellent time investment, not only for health benefits, but also for sleep.
- Yoga can affect the quality of your sleep. Certain yoga poses affect the nervous system and balance the hormones in your brain, which can normalize your sleep cycle.
- Practicing yoga postures improves blood circulation throughout the body, nourishing all your organs, tissues and nerves.
- Yoga also encourages you to tune in to the present moment, often by focusing on the breath, which allows you to stop worrying about things that happened in the past or might happen in the future.
- Yoga relieves stress and tension which is a common factor in sleep disorders.
Meditation and sleep
- Meditation and sleep both give deep rest.
- Meditation improves the quality of your sleep - though it isn’t a substitute to sleep.
- Delta waves are the lowest of brainwave activity found during deep, dreamless sleep. They are also found in experienced meditators.
- Most types of meditation lower the brainwaves into the alpha-theta brainwave range.
- A very safe, healthy way to attempt to increase your delta brainwaves is to make the act of meditation a daily habit. You’ll naturally increase your flexibility to travel through the alpha brainwave range, possibly through the theta brainwave range, and into the depths of the delta brainwave range.
- If you meditate regularly (15 minutes, twice a day) you can notice a significant reduction in your sleep time.
However meditation is not just for that...shortening of sleep time is just a by-product of meditation. Though meditation has got much more important dimensions and meanings attached to it !
Back to top
From Tips for Good Sleep to Drug Free Living Home
Like This Page?